Our nation's birthday party should not be a political event, and for the most part isn't, but it's a big deal for our shared community spirit and the Polk County Democrats always show up and wave the flag. Check our calendar and get out yours to save the dates:
* Monday, May 26, is the Women's Club meeting, starting at 5:30 pm at the HQ. This will be our last formal meeting before the July 4 events, so lots of things need to be worked out. Join us if you can.
* Saturday, July 1, is the July Big Country Breakfast, setting the tone for the big week to follow. It's from 8:00 am to 10:30 pm (or so, you know us), and it is happily business as usual: Johnny and the Women putting on the best breakfast spread around, with lots of Democrats talking shop, all for a good cause and a $5.00 minimum donation. You know you want to go, just do it...
* Tuesday, July 4: the big day on Mills Street in Columbus, starting whenever and lasting until the fireworks are done. We'll have our tent there as usual, but we need volunteers for all of it: setting up, manning the tent all day, and clean-up. Sign up to help at the W/C meeting or the breakfast, or just let any of the party contacts know you can help.
* Thursday, July 6, is the July Executive Committee meeting, which the calendar inconveniently has after the big day, but is always your best source of info on what's going on. It starts at 7:30 pm, at the HQ. Join us if you can.
* Finally, Saturday July 8, is the enormous annual Coon Dog Day blow-out in Saluda. It's non-political (to put it mildly) and not an official party event, but our Commissioner Ray Gasperson always walks in the parade to press the flesh, and welcomes anyone to join him.
That's it; it's hard to believe that the year is half over already, but so it is, and our tired old country needs a good party on its birthday to get us over the hump. Join us for as much of it as you can...